Year 5 Masterclasses
The Mathematics department is running practical and exciting masterclasses with ten local primary schools giving opportunities for Year 5 students to experience innovative teaching methods in a practical setting.
The Mathematics department is running practical and exciting Master-classes with ten local primary schools, giving opportunities for Year 5 students to experience innovative teaching methods in a practical setting. Students will be involved in planning, organising and presenting a project based around Shape and Space and will have the opportunity to use augmented reality, make a video and use interactive materials in the construction of their project. The school will offer seven sessions and support materials will be made available via a virtual learning environment, created for the students, parents and teachers. Schools will be able to communicate and share good practice via the blogs set up on our virtual learning environment (Frog). We are looking forward to a wonderful experience.
What the project will offer for participants
- The students will have the opportunity to experience dynamic teaching in an atmosphere where ideas will be developed and shared in a practical framework. They will be encouraged to articulate and develop ideas with the support of carefully crafted activities and stimulating questions.
- Students will be encouraged to keep a log and develop their ideas by using support materials available on line via unique log-ins. They will share with other primary school students their ideas, concerns and questions through a forum set up on the website.
- Weekly updates will appear on Frog – for which all students, teachers and parents working with the project have been given additional access to. The materials available will include videos, PowerPoints, and worksheets to help the students to develop and extend their ideas and thinking in school and at home.
- Students will be guided on how to keep a log and how to improve their final presentation through guided use of making simple videos and using augmented reality posters.
- Staff and parents will be provided with support materials to help improve the quality of questions needed to help thinking skills . Students will be given a weekly activity to try at home and feedback opportunities will be offered.
The seven week project will run as follows:
- Isometric drawing 3d objects.
- Nets, area and volume. Maximum volume minimum area , maximum area minimum volume problems.
- The “Design Brief” will be revealed (working with percentage in waste problems).
- Trial and improvement to solve problems related to volume and area.
- Extending the brief to include Presentation skills, Augmented reality and video work.
- Preparing for the presentation, ideas and planning.
- Presentations to staff, parents and guests.
Picture By Vectors by Mysid, original by User:Elisabethd [CC-BY-SA-2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], via Wikimedia Commons