In Food Technology students combine practical and technological skills with creative thinking to design and make food products that meet a variety of human needs. Students are provided with the opportunity to learn how to cook, as well as well as make informed decisions about their diets and health. Through Food Technology students develop confidence in using practical skills and are taught how to become discriminating users of food.
Key Stage 3
In Years 7 and 8 all students study Food Technology, rotating with the other subjects within the Design Technology Curriculum. In Year 9 students have the opportunity to study two of the Design Technology subjects, including Food Technology.
Assessment: Assessment will be on-going for each year group with Levels awarded for planning skills, making skills and students’ ability to evaluate their own work.
Learning Objectives & PLTS: All projects at Key Stage 3 will encourage each student to:
- Become an Independent Enquirer through researching, analysing & evaluating situations as well as foods and making informed choices.
- Become a Creative thinker when designing food products, suggesting ideas and solving problems
- Become a Reflective Learner through self-evaluation and peer assessment and subsequently set targets and strive to improve
- Develop Team Worker skills through listening to others, taking responsibility and collaborating with others
- Become a Self Manager when planning and cooking through the organisation of time and resources