Art is one of the ways by which people comprehend the world in which we live. By investigating, observing, analysing and representing people, places and things, pupils develop a greater understanding of their environment, as well as developing their powers of self-expression. Through drawing, painting, printmaking and sculpture we aim to make visible our unique experience of existence. Through imagination and skill, art has the power to transform the darkest of human experiences and give voice to the grandest of human hopes.
“Art gives you permission to be free”
Luay Di Silva 6th form student
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
Key Stage 3 (Years 7, 8 and 9)
Taking inspiration from “A Tiger in a Tropical Storm, Surprise!” by the artist Henri Rousseau, students embark on a creative journey that starts with developing key observational drawing skills and ends with the creation of mythical animal masks and sculptures.
Movement, Sound & Vision
A synesthetic journey into the mind of Wassily Kandinsky, a pioneer of Abstract Art. Students will learn how to compose abstract paintings and sculptures inspired by musical sounds.
This project takes on an Aztec theme that consolidates and expands student’s technical skills. Students will develop a range of outcomes that create a shrine to the individual. Techniques covered include drawing, printing, painting and sculpture.
Key Stage 4 (Years 10 and 11)
Exam board: Edexcel
FA01 personal portfolio coursework:
This project is built upon observation of the natural world and uncovering its endless beauty. Students embark upon a creative journey experimenting with a wide range of materials and processes from dark room photography through to sculpture creating highly personalised outcomes.
Using stimulus to ignite imaginative responses this project encourages independent and unique pathways for the student.
FA02 - Externally set theme by Edexcel
KS5 (Year 12 and Year 13)
Introduction to the principles of design
Key areas; Modernism, Urban landscape, architecture and portraiture
This project is student led on a personal theme
9FA02 externally set exam
A theme is selected by the exam board
Success and Achievement:
- Year on year success at A level and GCSE
- Many of our students go on to study Arts subjects at university including Architecture at Cambridge, UAL, UCL and Reading. Animation and Games Design are also popular choices with students being offered places at UAL, Middlesex and Leicester. Art is also a pathway to Graphic Design our students have been offered places a Loughborough and Leeds on the strength of their portfolio’s
- High uptake at GCSE and A level is a result of the outstanding teaching in the department.
Enrichment and Wider Opportunities:
- KS4 and 5 go on at least one museum or gallery trip a year
- Workshops with practising artists
- Opportunity to exhibit work within the school
- Enrichment opportunities for y7 students